Sunday, March 20, 2016

Here we are in Mexico

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.” 1 Corinthians 13:1

Mexico! A country of many contrasts, all under the canopy of a night-sky painted with myriads of twinkling stars, drawing our attention to our God who placed them there and named them all. We’ve come here to serve; Pete, mostly in construction of the new massive, cathedral-like Community Service and Worship Center and myself, in the fledgling school with 35 first through sixth graders, all at various stages of learning. And of course, our biggest mission is to love on the kids-somewhere between 45 and 50 of them-to be ‘abuelo y abuela’ (grandpa and grandma) to any who give us invitation and even to those who don’t.

In our first month here we have faced a big learning curve, but now we’re settled in our two-bedroom adobe house, enough so that it feels like home. We’ve learned the children’s names and given countless hugs. Our biggest challenge has been learning Spanish. Studies say immersion is the best way; we are counting on that being true as we still struggle with almost every word we say. I’ll never forget the first time I heard a whole sentence and UNDERSTOOD it! Pete had the same sense of exhilaration when he spoke a sentence-a COMPLETE sentence-without hesitation!

One day, at the end of our third week or so, I was feeling discouraged about our language abilities and took it to the Lord in prayer. He ever so gently reassured me that we would learn our Spanish, and then He exhorted me with these distinct words, “LOVE speaks louder than Spanish!” Of course! That’s why He had brought us here in the first place-to love on these kids! We are to let the love of Jesus shine out of us to all of them. By His grace, we can do that! We can love them with the love of Jesus, in spite of our Spanish! The burden I was carrying lifted from me, and my step was lighter as I turned to obey. If I spoke in perfect Spanish, but I did not speak in love, then my speaking would be empty words, sounding like brass or clanging symbols.

Dear Father, Help us to learn our Spanish, but please don’t ever let it override our desire to love You and all those You place in our lives. Amen.

3 comments: